the green side of well mindedPosted: April 22, 2013
Happy Earth Day!
As a family and as a business (yes, lines get blurred), we’ve been “going green” for many years. It’s a never-ending, evolving process that we love to educate ourselves about and improve upon.
Why do we consider ourselves a green company?
• We are nearly paperless. We do jot things down and ask for a few old-fashioned signatures with brand-new clients, but once our initial consultation is over, all confirmations and invoicing is done online. We take booking requests online and are able to send confirmations and invoices online, as well.
• We use biodegradable bags for waste cleanups on walks, in yards, and when scooping litter. If our clients leave us biodegradable bags, we credit their account $1 per day. So, if you’re traveling for seven days, and we pick up your doggy droppings and kitty litter every day you’re gone (which we do), when you leave us biodegradable bags to use, you’ll automatically see a $7 credit on your invoice. That probably covers the whole month’s supply of bags, right? Easy!
• We walk a lot. And we hike. Traveling by foot is super eco-friendly. And since we live in the desert, we drink a lot of water when we’re exercising. So we use reusable water bottles for both humans and animals, and we use reusable, collapsable pet bowls when we’re on the go.
• In our home/office, we haven’t purchased paper towels for over three years. HUH? It’s TRUE! We use cloth rags for everything, even pet messes! Yes, it CAN be done. We first tried it as a challenge, and it became second nature–part of our lifestyle. What do we do if an animal barfs on the rug? Well, we get out a few rags, then throw them in the washer. It works!
• We use non-toxic, ecofriendly cleaners. Not only do our animals breathe easier, our whole family does. And no one has to worry about the scary stuff in bleach, disinfectants, and the like. Feel free to lick your paws!
• We’re making more vegan choices, which impacts our earth every single day. We’re learning and striving as a family business to get there 100%.
• When we go on our lunch break, we use reusable containers to hold our grub.
• Porter, our six-year-old junior pet sitter, is in the Save the Earth Club at his school. He comes home with ideas for us to discuss and helps our family business stay on an earth-friendly path.
• We recycle everything we can. And we use reusable bags when we shop. That’s not very impressive, hopefully. Shouldn’t we all be doing this by now?
What will we do next?
• We’re researching taking online payments, so you won’t have to send a paper check anymore. Just blame my slight fear of figuring it all out for the delay.
• We’ve been doing lots of research on composting, but haven’t taken the plunge, yet. We’re excited to start!
Being “green” is not black or white. It’s a process, and it’s about making gradual changes that fit into your family’s life. It’s about being the best you can be, and being better than you were yesterday. It’s a family affair, including your pets. Think about how you and your pet can be just a little bit friendlier to the earth tomorrow. Maybe you use biodegradable waste bags, or clean up that pet mess with natural cleaners. Or maybe you walk instead of drive, and dispose of a piece of trash someone else left along the way.